09 February 2010

Baby Closet Organizer Tags

This is the most practical baby gift I have seen thus far. Everyone gives clothes, sometimes they come with tags, sometimes you rip the tags off and wash the clothes, sometimes they are hand me downs and don't have tags. This is the best way to organize your nursery closet and it just makes life so much easier! I would love to take credit for being the person who thought this up, but I'm not. To whoever did, THANK YOU! I am just here to pass on the smart idea.

I did a boy set. I am also going to do a set for girls, I'll be sure to post pictures. I used my Fiskers trimmer and I also used my Cricut for a couple things. If you don't have a Cricut, don't sweat, you can still make this wonderful craft. For the most part it was all cut out with my Fiskers trimmer.

Something to keep in mind when you start this project is look in your closet to see if you have a wooden or plastic rod that is removable to be able to slide the door hangers on. If you don't, you can still make these, you'll just need to tie them on with some decorative ribbon.

MATERIALS NEEDED: 
7 Wooden Door Hangers (I purchase mine from Michael's Craft Store for 79 cents a piece)
12x12 Cardstock Paper (3 sheets, just to be safe)
12x12 Designer Paper (2 sheets)
12x12 Cardstock of a Different Color than Previous Cardstock (2 sheets)
Can of White Spray Paint
Spray Adhesive (I used 3M, you can find it by the scrapbooking supplies at Michael's)
Zig Glue Pen
Markers (for non Cricut users)
Favorite Font Cartridge (For Cricut owners)
Favorite Tag Cartridge (For Cricut owners)
2" Round Hole Punch (I bought one from Michael's for $14.99)


DIRECTIONS:
1. Remove all labels from your wooden door hangers and spray paint front, back, and sides with white spray paint. You might need to apply more than one coat. I applied 3 coats. 


2. Using a solid color 12x12 cardstock, cut out the first layer to your organizer tags. I cut this layer 9.25" long x 2.75" wide. (I was able to cut 4 from one sheet) This will be the first layer to go onto the wooden door hangers after the paint.  Once you've cut your background piece, you can use your hole punch to punch out your rod hole. Make sure that your hole lines up with the hole on the wooden door hanger. Once you've punched your hole, spray your adhesive to the back of the cardstock and adhere it to the wooden door hanger.
**NOTE: If you use the Fiskers 2" hole punch, your hole will be off centered. I liked this look, so I kept it and went on, but if you want the hole in your cardstock to be centered, I would suggest using another method to make your holes.


3. Your middle layer is next. This should be your designer paper. I cut my middle layer 6" long x 2.5" wide. I used my spray adhesive and lined it up toward the bottom of my cardstock that was already on my wooden door hanger. (I was able to cut all of them from one sheet)












4. Your last layer is your tag. It should be a solid color cardstock, either cut out by hand to fit or your favorite tag from your Cricut collection. I used a scalloped square shape from my Cricut Cartridge and made it 2.5" long. I used it longways just because it fit better. Once you get your shapes cut out, spray the back with adhesive and place them where you would like them on top of your middle layer.




 5. Your next step is the lettering. The sizes I chose to do are: NB, 0-3, 3-6, 6-12, 2T, 3T, & 4T. I used my Cricut to cut out the letters and numbers for the sizes, but like I said, if you do not own one, then be creative and use markers to display your sizes. Since my tag was 2.5", I chose to cut my letters out at 1.5"







 






















6. Lastly, finish your creation off with anything you see fit! Make it your own. I decided to tie a sage green sheer ribbon around the bottom of mine. But you can do whatever you like.




 --Danielle
2.9.10

1 comment:

  1. How do you put the tag on the bar if it doesn't have an opening?

    ReplyDelete